Wilton, New Hampshire, USA
Co-Ed, No Religious Affiliation
High Mowing School is the first Waldorf high school to be founded in North America and the only Waldorf School to offer a full Boarding Experience!
High Mowing, (named for the mowing of the high hay fields that surround the campus), is located on Abbot Hill, elevation 1000 feet above sea level, in the Town of Wilton, in southern New Hampshire. Despite the pastoral setting, we are just a one hour drive from Boston and 30 minutes from Manchester. Here you will find a rich educational and social community that, over the last seven decades, has developed, changed and adjusted to meet the needs of the students, offering teenagers a unique combination of Waldorf education and community living. We are a small, friendly community of students and faculty living and learning together in an inspiring and comfortable setting. Each student, day and boarder, and each teacher is an active part of this community.
High Mowing School has talented, specially trained and experienced teachers who draw on the wisdom of Waldorf education, and nurture the interests of today’s young people. We utilize an approach to learning that is based on an understanding of the developing adolescent with body, soul and spirit, as well as on the changing times and environment.
We provide a complete program of humanities, math, science, world languages, fine, practical and performing arts, diverse movement education and individual interest electives -- all immersed in and surrounded by nature.
As a community, we share the following values:
- Imagination and creativity
- Learning through multiple intelligences
- Joy, freedom and self-direction
- Meaningful work that challenges and inspires
- Balance in work, play and life
- Excellence in academics
- Mastery through practice
- Innovation and tradition
- Social justice, environmental sustainability
- Healthy, local and organically grown food
- A safe welcoming and diverse school community
- A friendly and supportive social environment
- Celebration of the uniqueness in each individual
- Deep, authentic and lasting relationships
- Individual and collective responsibility
- Kindness and compassion